Saturday, June 2, 2012

Grocery Bag Holder

 
I recently whipped up this super easy grocery bag holder. I've been wanting to make one for a really long time... not sure why I waited! If I had use for them I'd make 10 more they were so fun and easy.  Bonus: I got to use this bright summer almost-chevron fabric which is in the background of my blog header (above) and I used to make a skirt earlier this spring. The pattern came from this One Yard Wonders book. If you haven't seen these books before (I think there are two) they are pretty awesome! I have so many bits of fabric leftover from projects, these books are full of ideas on how to use them. Anyway, here's the gist of it. First, cut a rectangle of fabric 20 x 22 inches. Also cut a long skinny rectangle for the loop to hang the bag holder from - about 3 x 12 inches. You will also need 18 inches of 3/4" elastic.


Next, fold the big rectangle of fabric in half (fold on the shorter edge - hamburger style) and sew up the long side. Then make casings for the elastic on the top and the bottom by folding each (now circle) edge in 1/4 inch, press, then another 1 inch. Make sure to leave an opening when you sew around the 1 inch fold to put in the elastic. Cut the elastic to about 9 inches (need two pieces, one for the top and one for the bottom) and thread it through the casing. Sew the ends of the elastic together. Close it all up and add the loop to hang it - for an easier version you could just use ribbon for the loop. Otherwise fold each long edge of the loop fabric in to the middle, then fold over once more. Sew and fold in half to create the hanging loop. Sew it to the inside of the bag holder. That's it! Fill with grocery bags and enjoy! Mine is positively jam-packed, this baby holds a lot of bags.






I'm not really sure it will live outside my pantry door, but I love how the colors brighten up the kitchen. I will probably move it inside the panty in the fall - but I will still get a glimpse of summer when I look in the door!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...